Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Frozen Herbs



How I discovered it: I’ve seen them in freezer cabinets over the years, but the ones that finally tempted me were in shiny, jewel-like bags, which appealed to the magpie in me. 

What they say: “Frozen within hours for freshness...” 

What I Say: There’s no getting around it. I am lazy. I like cooking, but the less prep I have to do, the better. But for years I bought bunches of fresh coriander, parsley and basil (I’m not that keen on dried herbs), washed it, dried it, chopped it, used a tablespoon in a recipe, then threw the rest away two weeks later when I discovered it all slimy at the back of the fridge. Then I saw these gorgeous foil bags of frozen herbs at Waitrose, and my life was changed! I started with the basics, which for me means coriander, garlic and jalapeno. It was great to just whip herbs out of the freezer and have them ready-chopped. I even use them frozen in salads – they’re chopped so finely, they thaw really quickly. It makes life so easy! I like these from Waitrose, but most supermarkets do them.

At around £1.49 a pack there’s no doubt you’re paying for convenience, but I think it works out a lot cheaper in the long run as there is no waste. Once you try them, I doubt you’ll go back!

The verdict: Lorelei loves it!

4 comments: