Saturday, 28 May 2011

Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce

How I discovered it: Looking for mustard at Waitrose, I spotted the adorable, slightly retro bottle, and thought I’d give it a try.

What they say: “TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce is made from select smoked red Jalapeno peppers and has a smooth, rich, smoky flavour. And it’s our first pepper sauce that you can sprinkle on like a condiment, or really pour on like a steak sauce or marinade!”

What I say: I have always, ALWAYS loved very spicy food. I think I must have only one taste bud or something. My grandfather used to grow a very special kind of hot yellow pepper used in some eastern European dishes. One of my favourite things to do when I was 8 or 9 years old was to have raw hot-pepper eating contests with my Uncle Alex, who was from the Old Country. I only beat him once – and I was so proud. Beet-red, eyes watering, ears ringing – but proud.

So Tabasco sauce is a staple in our household – but it may be usurped by this smoked chipotle version! It’s milder than original Tabasco, but has a smoky sweetness that is perfect with meat – particularly pork, beef and chicken. It goes very nicely with vegetables too. I haven’t tried it on eggs yet, but I’ll bet that’s a winning combo. (My DH says it’s simply a matter of time before I’m ladling it over ice cream. Cheek!)

It may not be spicy enough for some sensation-seekers, but I think the flavour more than makes up for a lower Scoville rating....

What could be improved: Maybe a larger bottle, for those of us who get through it at a rate of knots? (I understand that in the States you can buy it in gallon jugs – Waitrose, take note!)

The verdict: Lorelei loves it!

2 comments:

  1. Lorelei, if you love hot stuff, have you ever used Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning? I love Walkerswood stuff (a side-effect of time in Jamaica as a teenager), and the Jerk stuff is my favourite.

    Maybe I've got a stainless steel palate, but I love it - not just as marinade, but even as a dip with celery.

    http://www.walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_seasoning.php

    Andrew Denny (@albiondumsday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrew! That sounds great. I've not really investigated jerk seasoning, but I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete