Sunday, 19 December 2010

Waitrose Essential Mixed Grilled Vegetables


How I discovered it: Wandering to the frozen food section in search of frozen spinach – ho hum! – I spied this! My Italian-American husband makes fantastic grilled vegetables, and I’m always pestering him for them – but they take a bit of time and effort, so he's not always willing to cooperate. Was this an easy substitute?

What they say: “A mix of red peppers, yellow peppers, courgettes, aubergine, green peppers and onion in sunflower oil from our selected growers.”

What I say: This genuinely tastes like you’ve spent ages cleaning, cutting and grilling yourself. The blend is perfect. I heat it up in a pan with a little salt – it doesn’t need any oil. I usually just have it on its own with a bit of shaved parmesan, or as a side dish to grilled meat, but it also makes a fantastic addition to pasta for a quick and simple supper (OMG, I sound like a television mom!!). Anyway – my 5-a-day never tasted so good. 

What could be improved: I don’t think anything about the product itself needs improving –but at £2.49 for 750g, you’re paying a fair bit for the convenience. But grilled vegetables can be quite labour intensive – for my husband, not me :oD - so I’m happy to pay a premium for this.

The verdict: Lorelei loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment